Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Investigative crafts


Crafting is really part imagination and part science. I am always getting new ideas to try out, and some of them work, and some of them work and are not practical, and some of them don't work at all.

Take, for instance, melting crayons into those very fun cupcake or muffin "tins" made of silicon: a rubber type substance that can withstand very high temps. The outcome is very cute. You can make new pink bunny crayons or a white and gold marbled snowflake crayons that would make adorable, durable gifts to fill Easter baskets or put in the center of a paper covered table at a party. The guests could write greetings and well-wishes to the guest(s) of honor. Too darn cute.

Here's where the trouble began in my investigation. Each of these silicon tins cost about $10.00. Kind of expensive and each tin of 6 wells only has a shape or two. You can usually only buy one holiday at a time because that's when the grocery stores (not craft stores around Utah) have them for sale. Also, the cost of crayons has gone WAY up. I found a box of 64 at one store for around 5 dollars and the same box at teacher's supply store for 7 dollars. There are many red, blue and green shades that you can throw in together for red heart or a blue bunny, but not many yellow or white crayons in the box. I wanted to make a yellow chick!!!!! I had to buy a four dollar box of 12 thick crayons and it only made about 3 chicks. Let's see, 3 chicks divided by 12 crayons at 4 dollars equals......AHRGGGG! And would you pay more than a dollar or two for a chick shaped crayon.? Somehow I think not. Heck with science, now we get into MATH!

The long and short of it is that I've spent about 3 or 4 days investigating the feasibility (do you like this big word) of this recycled crayon project and I pass the baton on to a more patient, less cheap soul than myself.

3 comments:

  1. Crafting can be very pricey. I always try to pick up crafty supplies at the DI when I'm there; which is all the time. As a result my craft room looks like a big messy rummage sale. It's a constant struggle to keep all that junk organized. I spend more time searching for an item than actually crafting!

    Kelly
    Second Hand Chicks

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok here is my hint for you.... Have you been to NPS market square? It is off of 1600 w. I think you can get to it from industrial road or empire rd. Either one will take you there. but first from Redwood road go to 1700 s . go west until you get to empire. then on empire head north. one side of the store is groceries etc... the other side is the outback. they have every thing from clothes to art supplies to electronics and most of it is a really great deal. it is always random and you never know what you are going to find. I love that place. also have you checked the dollar tree stores for silicone pans? and Crayons?

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is one of the things I like about blogging. Many others have solutions to problems. I can't wait to go to NPS Market Square, and it's good to know others have the same issues like affordability. Thanks, Stacey and Kelly!

    ReplyDelete