Sunday, January 10, 2010

Babies, Babies Everywhere



For us, the last two weeks have been filled with babies. I love babies. A couple of my daughters' friends have either recently had a baby or are expecting. We have had showers and hospital visits and even a couple of days worth of babysitting. Bringing new life into this world in this point in history is a scary but exciting prospect. When I was a child, _____years ago in the stoneage, kids grew up free to run and were relatively safe. Today, children are regularly kept in the house or yard for fear of strangers, and in from recess because of "red air days."

I don't envy today's moms and dads, and I like taking the role of adopted "grandma." I get to snuggle and tickle and tease without worrying about how strict or lenient I need to be. One thing that hasn't changed, though, is how fast they grow. I waited 3 1/2 years after being married before I had my first child, and 3 1/2 years between my second and third. It took forever, it seems, to get them all here--and then whoosh------they were all leaving the nest. It's a good thing I have my two little chihuahuas to love and cuddle or I would be one of those crazy ladies who carry a doll that looks just like me wherever I go. Congratualtions to all you new mommies and daddies out there.

I would go back and do it all again, and this time I wouldn't complain so much about the dirty diapers and the toys I was always tripping over. I would savor it like it was strawberry shortcake.

No comments:

Post a Comment